Codex Deano

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Wait, what day is it?

Well I’m back at work and my recovery from the 4th of July weekend is well underway.    I was at work for almost 2 hours this morning before I realized it’s Tuesday.  What?  A four day work week?  I didn’t even think about that, woo hoo!  What a bonus! 

So I rolled my mangled carcass out of bed at 6ish and began the search for all those little items that would get me through the day.   It’s the morning scavenger hunt game that we all play.  Some of us play a little harder than others:

1 Cash, just in case I break down or need an emergency whole-grain bagel…check

2 Access ID badge, forgot the stupid thing last Friday!  Not today!  I found it clipped to the belt I was wearing last Thursday…check

3 Car keys, crap I haven’t seen those things for two days.  When all else fails look in the laundry basket. Ah-ha!  Gotcha!…check 

4 Glasses, you can’t fool me again, I’m wearing those…check 

5 Sunglasses, forgot those last Friday too.  Man, last Friday must have sucked…check 

6 Something for lunch,  Luckily the fridge is full of cook-out leftovers so I didn’t have to really think about this one.  I accidentally bumped the door and a blue lidded glad-ware bowl fell into my hands.  Vegetable soup it is.…check

As usual, I ate my breakfast on the highway.  But today I didn’t wear any of it; another bonus.  I have two breakfast options every morning.  Eat in the car or go hungry.   I always have enough time to make a healthy breakfast at home, but not enough time it seems to eat it too.  I know what you’re thinking…just get up earlier.  Well I’ve tried that and ya know what?  The earlier I get up, the slower I move and I still end up with the same options.  Besides, a bowl full of grapes, apple slices, raisins, chopped walnuts and vanilla yogurt is fairly car-friendly.

It’s going to be in the mid 90’s today so I packed a change of clothes too.  I hate it when my good pants, dress shirt and socks are saturated with sweat.  It’s just not good for anybody. I actually heard a guy complain that I changed cloths in the bathroom once.  Let me tell ya, I spent almost 10 years in the Army and I don't give a damn where anyone changes clothes. As long as it's not in public view obviously.  This guy must have lived a sheltered childhood if that's the kind of thing that offends him.  What a wuss.

I’m scrambling to get things caught up at work for my week off.  It’s not really a week off; I’m volunteering as a camp councilor at a local day/overnight camp.  The kids will range in ages from 6 through 12.  This should be interesting.  It doesn’t feel that long ago when I was the one at summer camp doing all the things campers aren’t supposed to do.  Now I’m supposed to regulate these kids and tell them not to do all the stuff I did.  Seems like a conflict of interest to me.  Didn’t anyone do a thorough background check on me?  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment