Codex Deano

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Question for the Young Ladies...


I have to wonder why most (almost all) people on Blogger are women in their late teens through early 20s.  Do guys really have nothing to say?  As I cycle through the “Next Blog” button I sometimes feel like some intruder peeping into some women's only sorority.  It makes me feel dirty; do I even belong here?  I know the older people in general are too busy working (or they can’t afford electricity due to being laid off) but why is the demographic so skewed? 

In a time where everyone is connected digitally but not physically, do you younger women need the two-way communication blogging provides?  Is communication lacking in your own life?  Is it a creative outlet for some of you?  I’m not demanding answers; I’m simply curious.

I’ve noticed a lot of you speak of being depressed or even suicidal.  I wonder if some of you just want to reach out to anybody who will listen.  Some of you are writers while others are designers or crafters trying to stake your claim in cyberspace.  I admire your efforts, all of you, and I wish you all success. 

Then there are the family blogs.  The only reason I know these blogs exist is because of the whooshing sound they make as they fly past my screen.  I’m not undervaluing families, I have my own and it’s enough for me. I was a stay-at-home dad for the first two years of both my kid’s lives.  It was the most educational experience of my life.  I just can’t imagine anyone logging into my blog to find out what my kids are doing.  My family members on Facebook hardly even notice what I’m posting.  I know it’s exciting being a new parent, but I just don’t get why you would want to post stories about how your 9 month old spit up on Aunt Bessie at the family reunion.  Or why some of you feel the need to post pictures of every skinned knee and boo-boo your 2 year old son gets.  Slow down!  If he’s anything like I was you’ll have plenty of X-rays and emergency room bills to post later in life.

So if anyone should stumble onto this post and actually read it, I’d love to know your thoughts on the subject. Why are women the great communicators on line? 

Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Good questions, all. I can't really answer because I'm waaaay past my 20's by...a lot. :)

    I enjoy your writing style.

    Also - as to those bug bites (in another post) are you sure that's not poison oak?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's was all bug bites. They were just so close together it looked like a rash. As the swelling slowly went down you could see the location of each little needle stick. Little blood suckers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and thanks of commenting Robin. It's nice to know somebody read this thing :)

    ReplyDelete